Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2011

When Wasps Attack

During our last day at Cathedral Ledge, we were a few pitches up and came upon a wasp nest smack dab in the middle of a crack we were climbing. It provided for quite a bit of excitement, and more than a little cursing on my part. When it was all said and done I got stung three times on the fingers of my left hand. Somehow Kristal managed to make it by unscathed. I guess they had taken out all their anger on me.  We managed to finish up the climb without any more issues, but by the next day my left hand was trying its best to form into the shape of a pumpkin.


I could barely bend my index and pinky fingers, so climbing was out of the question. The weather decided to cooperate though, and a couple of days of rain forced us off the rock and gave my hand a chance to recover. During the break we went to scope out the nearby Madison boulder, the largest known glacial erratic in New England, and one of the largest in the world.


Even if it was dry, this enormous boulder is pretty featurless, so there's not much in the way of bouldering potential.

Our next stop was Pawtuckaway, a scenic state park at the base of New Hampshire, that also happens to be a decent bouldering destination. On our first day out I managed to get stung by a wasp again! This time on my arm, so at least the swelling didn't affect my ability to climb.

This place is pretty cool, with large boulders nestled in a nice forest setting. Here I am pulling on to the cool balancing boulder.


Kristal about to send Debbie Does, V5.


And taking a break between attempts.


Me pulling on a cool undercling start.


And Kristal climbing some sweet slab.


There are some pretty awesome problems here, but with the frequent showers, baking temperatures, and high humidity we definitely aren't pushing any grades. The heat makes for good swimming conditions though!





No comments:

Post a Comment